Creativity and New Media

New media has led to a huge amount of creativity. With many platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram, it is very easy to find different ideas. Different ideas foster creativity. My favorite thing to look at on YouTube and Instagram is when other people mashup and remix different songs. When I was in middle and high school, I took part in playing in concert bands. The music sense in me is always looking to find something new. So whenever a dj mixes two of my favorite songs together, it is hearing the best of both worlds. The article 1+1+1=1 by Sasha Frere-Jones talks about mashups back in the early 2000s and the songs that the djs used for their work.

In the virtual reality game "Second Life," I customized my character to look as close as it could to me. I wanted to make it similar to the way I looked because I wanted to present myself that way to the other players of the game. The game itself was pretty interesting, however, I could not play longer than thirty minutes because the visuals from rotating/turning the camera gave me a headache. You have complete freedom to do whatever you want after completing the basic tutorial. The snapshot below is a maze that I entered. Prior to this, I went on a boat and navigated through eight checkpoints and received a reward after completion.



Comments

  1. Hi Jesse,

    I find it interesting how you were able to customize your character to look as closely possibly to yourself. Many games don't have those features because of the limited features they have to offer. I was wondering, is this game similar to an MMORPG game? Also, I would love to try this game with the virtual reality headsets. I think you may have had a headache because this game was intended to be played with a VR headset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jesse,

    Wow! This game looks super interesting and fun. I'm not a huge gamer myself but I would definitely be open to trying something like this. Do you know if this company only has this one game or are there more games? Also, did you go somewhere to try this out or do you have a headset at home? I'm thinking about getting myself a pair but not sure if it's worth it - for what it costs right now.

    My main social media that I use are Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. Pretty similar to you. Let's connect on insta! I should mention that I mainly watch educational videos or music videos on YouTube lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts